Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The scariest night of my life!

Patrick and I had put Ganon down for bed after a long talk with the on-call Pediatrician regarding some weird bumps on Ganon's skin that looked like hives with a center to it. He recieved his MMR, Varicella and Hepatitis vaccines last Friday and since then these started appearing randomly. Ganon didn't seem bothered by them so I didn't call about them until last night when I noticed a big one on his belly. Well, after taking pictures and e-mailing them to the doc on call she thought it could be Folliculitis, but wasn't quite sure. So, she said if they looked pustulated in the center in the morning then I should bring him in to be check out. Patrick decided to give Ganon a blessing and then he went to sleep. Everything was fine...until about 2:30 a.m. (Let me just say, thank goodness for baby monitors!) I could hear Ganon rustle around in his crib, thinking maybe he lost his pacifier and was trying to find it. Well, suddenly I heard this gasping sound and a funny cough. I had Patrick go get him to bring him to our room and Ganon was having the hardest time breathing. After he would inhale he just looked at me and started to panic, like he forgot how to breath. It was soooo scary! I called the same doctor I spoke with earlier and explained how he was breathing and the weird seal-like cough he made between breaths. She said it sounded like Croup. I was thinking,"Oh, so this is what that sounds like." I never imagined it would sound like my child was dying trying to breath so hard. So the doctor called in a steroid, Dexamethasone, for him to take to open up his lungs and airway and she wanted Patrick to take him outside for the cold air to relax him and to turn on the vaporizer. That worked for a few minutes but we decided to go pick up the Rx. It was the first time Patrick, Ganon and I took a drive through Taylorsville at 3:00 a.m. One I wish to never repeat under these circumstances. On our way there I looked back at my little boy and held his hand. That was when I realized how helpless I felt. Really, I couldn't do anything for him that could relieve him instantly, except pray. I prayed very hard that nothing worse would happen. And I prayed that the medicine would work and that he could feel our love for him. I know Croup is common, but when a child is hardly sick besides a little head cold now and then, it is a scary situation to experience. I'm just glad I know now what to expect if it ever happens again. This has strengthened my testimony regarding prayer and having the Priesthood in my home. I thank Patrick for being worthy to hold it, and using it. And I thank Heavenly Father for listening to my many prayers last night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Croup can be terrifying! Dallin had it bad the week of Christmas ... Longest drive up to Primarys EVER. They had to give him epinephrine in a nebulizer to get his breathing back to normal. Dallin gets croup about every 6-8 weeks for the past year and they can't figure out why! Hope your little guy doesn't get it again, but glad you know what to listen for now!! Good luck!!